Level the Playing Field for WA Veterans
No veteran or anyone who serves our country should face barriers to employment or contracting when they return to civilian life. We must honor the sacrifice of those transitioning from military service and into the civilian sector workforce by expanding protections and opportunity-with outreach and support, recruitment and other tools that provide a level playing field.
Initiative 1000 clarifies and expands rights for all former military personnel, keeping in place current preferences and protections under State law, while expanding programs that make it easier for veterans and veteran-owned businesses to compete for public employment and contracting, as well as access to our public universities and colleges.
WHAT I-1000 WILL DO:
- Ensure that a similar preference for veterans would be applied to a wider range of publicly funded employment, contracting, and educational opportunities
- Expands programs that target Vietnam-era veterans to include ALL honorably discharged veterans
- Allows outreach, training, and recruitment
- Prohibits discrimination against veterans, women, seniors, people of color
- Prevents quotas and set asides; if you are qualified, you should be eligible for employment.